Top 5 Marine SEO Content Trends for 2020
A new year AND a new decade are almost upon us! Which means it’s time to switch up your boat marketing ideas for your nautical business. Content marketing has improved more than ever as we get better at strategizing, exploring, designing, and publishing content. Digital marketers have a bright future in the new year as new ideas for content will work wonders for any brand. The nautical team at our marine marketing agency discusses the top 5 marine SEO content trends for 2020.
Vibrant Visuals in Content
Visual platforms will remain a go-to for out-of-this-world visuals and graphics in 2020. As one of the top nautical SEO content trends for 2020, visual media will reign supreme for the next generation of soon-to-be-trendsetters. Instagram, YouTube, and Snapchat are the trendiest among teens, and as for adults, YouTube is the most used platform before Facebook.
Next-level visuals also expected to take off in 2020 are custom GIFs (pronounced as “gifts” without the “t”) using Giphy. You’ll be able to use GIFs from your own video content, showcasing new inventories of yachts and boats, nautical supplies, and more for your marine business. No more having to search for GIFs of relevant movies, TV shows, or characters to compliment your content marketing in the new year!
Visual Storytelling and Video Content
2019 was a big year for video content, however, with the popularity of YouTube, augmented reality, and dynamic imagery on the rise, video will continue to play a major role in SEO content trends for 2020. According to Statista, 85% of Internet users in the United States watched video content on any device as of 2018.  HubSpot conducted a survey asking 3,000 consumers what kind of content they want to see from a brand or business they support. 54% of 35-44-year-olds preferred video content, whereas 57% of 45-54-year-olds preferred video as well. 
This means your marine business needs to up the ante on video content as consumer preferences and behaviors continue to lean towards video marketing. Creating quality videos also calls for great storytelling since this will engage more online users for your business.
Beef Up Your E-A-T
In August 2019, Google released a blog post reminding online marketers of its core updates and how to strategize around them. Google highlighting this resource and singling out E-A-T was a huge heads-up to digital marketers. Content marketing in the new year will prove successful as demonstrating expertise, authority, and trust in content will be paramount.
To “E-A-T” your content, you must:
- Earn links or mentions from other authority websites
- Include a bio and accreditations on your website’s “About” page and author pages
- Link out to authoritative sources when citing stats, data, and facts in content.
- Regularly update content and other webpages with relevant, accurate, and current information.
To polish your E-A-T content, ensure that it’s thorough, user-friendly, and useful to online readers.
Bringing More Quality to Your Content
The continuous need for high-quality, purposeful content won’t be coming to a stop as we transition into 2020. Online marketers comprehend the importance of high-quality content:
- 90% of the most successful B2B content marketers use the audience’s information needs as a priority over sales/promotional messages, compared to 56% of the least successful. 
- There’s been a 56% increase in spending on the content creation portion of content marketing over the last 12 months. 
Better content will help digital marketers succeed in the SERPs and with their readers. This means brands and businesses will bring their A-game in 2020 as they demonstrate the following:
- Improved insights on the needs of their target audience through search results of specific queries/keywords
- More content tailored toward the audience and the brand’s voice and style
- Advanced research, an increase on present stats and data from authoritative sources
- In-depth explanation of topics
- Increase in creative, high-res visuals of imagery, infographics, and branded blog images
The Customer-First Approach
Putting the customer’s informational needs before sales messages is going to be one of the top SEO content trends for 2020 to keep your eye on. Remember, 90% of the most successful marketers prioritize your audience’s informational needs over sales/promotional messages. Therefore, offering guidance, information, and entertainment is a great start to building trust with your customers. In fact, the most informative, high-quality content that meets a reader’s exact needs has the potential to rank #1 on Google.
Not sure about the needs of your audience? Do your research, ask questions, conduct surveys, and engage with the community on social media. This will give you a better perspective of who they are and their pressing questions that need to be answered.
The future is promising for these marine SEO content trends for 2020 and we can’t wait! It’s time to trim your sails and just remember to:
- Create the best visuals possible
- Improve video storytelling
- Be an authority and expert in content topics
- Write meaningful and useful content
…and last but not least, put your audience’s informational needs above all else and you will be making digital marketing waves with your success!
Want to learn more about content marketing in the new year or need help doing so for your yacht or nautical business? Then cast a line to a crew member here at Marine SEO to get started!
 Content Marketing Institute – B2B Content Marketing Benchmarks, Budgets, and Trends – North American report