How to Respond to a Negative Review
While many businesses try to solve angry customer problems before things go online, it doesn’t always happen. 1, 2, and 3-star reviews happen, and these negative reviews can be truly frustrating. At Marine SEO, we get it. We know that businesses put a lot of effort into everything they do, and one negative review can seem like the end of the world. Don’t panic! Our SEO and PPC marketing agency in Fort Lauderdale shares tips on how to handle negative reviews online.
Negative Review Response Best Practices
To respond to negative reviews, such as 2-star or 1-star reviews, you need to take a step back and plan out your response. It’s easy to get heated and want to call the customer out or defend yourself, but this won’t help your case. Remember, your review response isn’t really for the angry customer who left the 1-star review, it’s really for potential customers who might be reading the angry reviews. They want to see how you respond, and they want to see a level-headed response. The best practices include:
- Staying calm and collected
- Avoiding name-calling
- Offering a solution rather than arguing with the customer
How to Respond to a 1-Star Review
Now that you know the best practices for negative review responses, you’re ready to respond to your negative reviews on Yelp, Google My Business, or any other review site. Here are some tips on how to respond to negative online reviews:
- Be polite. Remember, this response is more for a potential customer, not the one who left the angry review. So be polite!
- Take the conversation offline. Encourage the angry customer to call your business directly to discuss their concerns so you can problem-solve one-on-one.
- Focus on a solution. No, this doesn’t have to mean caving to an angry Yelper and giving them a free appetizer because they chose to complain about something trivial. Offering a solution can be as simple as telling the angry customer you have passed along their concerns to the right team member. Use your best judgement when determining the solution you’ll offer.
- Call in professionals. Sometimes, responding to a negative review on your own can be challenging, especially if it’s for your business. Let our pros at Marine SEO handle he review responses for you as a part of our packages for online marketing in Fort Lauderdale.